Monday, August 18, 2008

Getting Back to Normal

Bill has been home for almost two weeks now and things are going very well. He is progressing daily, and the only person not impressed with his progress is...Bill. I keep telling him how enthusiastic the physical and occupational therapists are, as well as the doctors, and so please feel free to join in my cheerleading when you talk to/visit him. I think it helps keep his spirits up.

Rocki, Bill's 24/7 caregiver, is a wonderful addition to the household. He takes his job seriously, has a very good heart, is dedicated to getting Bill better, and is even a pretty decent cook! Rocki is from Fiji, and they are a very honest and caring people, and so I feel very confident leaving him at home with Bill when I can't be there. Plus we have wonderful Chela 4 days a week, so that helps as well. Overall, his strength is returning, he's getting more proficient at the tasks that (we hope) will make him more independent, and he still takes a keen interest in the world around him and already is planning dinner parties. Atta boy!

I took a few days and went back to NYC for the wedding of one of my best friends from law school, Victor Chiu. He married a glorious person, and he deserves her, so I couldn't be happier for them both. They wrote their own vows and they were romantic, heartfelt, and charming. The food and drink were excellent, and they had a band that was, I kid you not, able to do a good job with both Sinatra and Justin Timberlake. Chameleonlike, truly.

My friend Jeannette kidnapped me for part of the day Saturday and we went up to Travers Island, the NY Athletic Club's outpost in the Bronx. Sipping margaritas, looking out over Long Island Sound, watching women's beach volleyball on the Olympics, and great company--what's not to love? Then I had my Bonfire of the Vanities experience while she dropped me off at 125th Street so I could catch Metro North up to Westport, CT to visit more law school friends, Tom and Candace Banks. Somehow, they have managed to buy and furnish a beautiful new house, complete with pond in the backyard, with 3 children under the age of 5. Knowing them, I am duly impressed but not unduly surprised. A lovely evening! Then the next morning I got to see my cousins and goddaughter for brunch at the Blue Water Grill--yet another beautiful family, and the girls are brilliant just like their parents. The evening was consumed by my East Coast birthday party, which was casual cocktails at Vintage on 9th Ave and 51st. They have a nice little garden at the back, and it threatened rain but did not, so we were able to enjoy each other's company en plein air. 70 percent fatigue/30 percent the longest martini menu in the city made it an early night, but all seemed to enjoy themselves. Thanks for coming out!

Monday night brought the pleasure of drinks with Andrew Shore at the beautiful and historic Union Club; I wish it were summer all year long just so I could drink Pimm's Cup. Nice to have a good catch-up that was not possible at the party. Dinner with Willa Fawer at a fantastic new Italian restaurant on 58th, Mia Diona, was the perfect last night in NYC. Before blowing town the next day, I had the opportunity to meet with some board members of the Clarion Music Society and their talented wunderkind music director, Steven Fox. He and some of his musicians are being gracious enough to help out with the benefit I am organizing on October 18th for brain cancer research. They are NYC's premier early music and period instrument ensemble, so we are fortunate indeed.

Shall try to do a better job of posting in the future, but the best news is that Bill is stable and so no news is good news!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home